Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Friday, December 28, 2012

Up and I've already been productive

although I got very little sleep last night. I went to bed around 11:30, woke up at 3:30, and didn't get back to sleep until after 6, then had to get up by 8:30. In the waking part of the night I practiced walking about both without the boot and barefoot and with both shoes on. I can't quite get my foot in with a wrap on, but my sock compresses pretty well. This morning I had my last home health physical therapy and the therapist let me borrow a cane until I can get one this weekend. We practiced with that, walking in my shoes. The idea is to try to see how I do with that, and when I go to work, take the boot with me just in case I get too tired or have too much pain. He also suggested I do some timed walking in the apartment to build up stamina for the walk to the bus stop in case I need to go. He suggested some other exercises as well, including some on the stairs outside--things to get my ankle limber and my leg more able to deal with the new weight. I think by the time I can get on Wheels I won't actually need it, so I need to be able to walk to the bus stop and cross the street twice. I also asked him about KORT Physical Therapy. I've been there before with tennis elbow. They now have a location in Chevy Chase at the corner of High Street and Euclid Avenue. It's a very short bus ride from work to there, and I think I could make it okay. I guess I need to get a bus pass. :)

I really recommend Cardinal Hill Home Health. My therapist has been great and very helpful.

Now I have two choices: going back to bed for a bit to see if I can get any rest or working on a project I need to finish by Sunday. Since I don't really feel sleepy, I think it will be the latter, especially as I'm supposed to visit my family tomorrow.

I think later today I will try to conquer some dishes in the sink and am considering trying to take a fairly light bag of trash out, now that one hand will be free. It's not too long of a walk to the Dumpster, but long considering I've mostly been stuck in the apartment for weeks.

No comments: