Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Saturday, December 29, 2012

So Wednesday's the day

I go back to work. In between that and now there's the game, and a visit with family. I have a tentative ride to work (I have to check back, as my co-worker is fighting off something that has her sounding about three octaves lower in her throat) and in the meantime my physical therapist suggested I do timed walking over the next few days in case I really need to walk .44 miles to the bus stop and cross the road twice (because that worked ever so well the last time I tried to do that).

Let me just say I work with some pretty amazing people. I have received cards, letters, e-mails, texts, and phone calls from people checking up on me. My door is full of get well and holiday cards--twenty-three in all, and a nice letter that came in the mail in response to some thank yous I sent. I've received some really nice gifts that came in very useful and helped cheer me up. I even had co-workers doing my laundry. But most of all, I suppose, is that I realised people cared. I always wondered what would happen if I suddenly wasn't in the world anymore, if anyone other than my really close friends or family would really care. What I discovered is I have many people in my life who care a lot. It makes me feel good about myself and the connexions I make with other people.

On the other hand, it's so weird to basically miss a quarter of a year from my routine. It'll be a little odd going back. My desk still has Halloween decorations on it. Thanks to my roommate in the library, my plants are apparently doing fine, which is good. But being back in my little cubicle will be interesting. I hate to think how much e-mail I'll have, although most of it is pretty moot and can be deleted. I don't even remember my Windows password--I'll probably have to have IT reset my password since it will force a change the first time I log on. There have been some changes in how my work is done that were supposed to start the Monday after I was hit, so the woman doing that part of my job is going to have to teach me what to do. I understood it at the time, but really don't remember the process now. But I'll hopefully be able to ease back into things.

Plus next week I have to see about getting into physical therapy and starting that. Right now I'm slowly walking in a shoe while I'm in the house, using a borrowed cane (we're going to check for one I can buy at Rite Aid tomorrow). I'll need to return the walker to the friend who lent it to me. The suggestion has been to wear the boot at work, though, since there will be more walking.

I hope I can do everything I need to do in the coming week. I suspect I'm going to come home and crash. But that's no different than it used to be. :) Hopefully I'll build up some stamina, though.

For now, though, my back is hurting a bit today and I've been at the computer much of the day. I think I'll go lie down and listen to some music for awhile. This will be my last day in my little cubby-hole of an apartment for awhile. Each day coming up through Friday pretty much has planned outings lasting most of the day. And at some point I'm going to have to do some more laundry. I have just enough to get me through next Friday. Right now I'm not sure if it would be best to do that at my mom's or my friend's, or actually try to take my cart to the laundry room and try to negotiate the steps. They're a little steep--I'm not sure I'm up to it. We'll see.

No comments: