Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

I've been winding down for the night by playing Microsoft Mahjong

for Windows 8 and I've unlocked all the puzzles, from easy to expert. Except for one game where two tiles wound up on top of each other, I did very well.

Tomorrow I start the second phase of physical therapy, where I start actually walking with some weight on my ankle and foot and slowly build up. Right now I'm getting around the apartment with the walker, and still putting just a little weight on my leg, as it does hurt a bit, although not as much as it did the first day or two, and it's not unbearable. But I don't walk for long distances, obviously. And every now and then, I forget and hop like I have been for eight weeks. But I think I might be able to actually go up those three steps in front of my apartment without crawling on my hands and knees. I haven't put that to the test yet--we may tomorrow. It was much easier to go down when I came back from the doctor though.

When I went to take my shower this morning, I was able to weigh myself without the boot, but without putting any but the slightest pressure on my unprotected foot, although it took two tries. What I discovered is that the net weight loss from before the accident is ten pounds, and I probably lost a little more while I was on and gained it back after I went off the pain medicine. But ten pounds is more than I've seen in awhile. Again, not the method I'd recommend for weight loss, but hey. Of more concern is that the last few days my blood sugar has been inching up, although I don't think I've been doing anything differently. My period may have affected it, but usually it goes lower, not higher. I don't know. But I'm going to try to get it back down to the normal range like it's been most of the time I've been recovering. Plus, I don't want to inch up in pounds as well. One person suggested that the weight loss itself might have helped with my blood sugar. Or it might be the opposite, that the better blood sugar caused the weight loss. I'm not sure which, but I'd like to keep that weight loss going. :)

Today I took a bonus I got for fifteen years' of service at work and applied it to my cable bill, essentially getting a free month, since it was just a couple of dollars more than the bill. That's all but one bill for the month paid, thankfully, and that last bill comes out automatically towards the end of the month. When I go to my doctor's next I'll get my rent and pay it a bit early, a trend I hope to keep going through 2013. I've been keeping my financial balances and transactions carefully put into my tablet and am tracking where my spending goes so by next month I can budget better.

So let's see, for tomorrow:
  1. Get cleaned up and change clothes.
  2. Straighten up the house a bit, at least as much as I am able.
  3. Meet with the physical therapist and start this round of therapy.
  4. Try to get a hold of one of the people who have been doing my laundry for a pick up (I still can't do that or take out the trash, but hopefully soon....) The idea is to get it done this week so they aren't saddled with it around Christmas. I so appreciate that they've been willing to do that. Alternatively I may see if A is willing and ask Brandon to take the clothes over there. (Found an alternative.)
  5. Send out a holiday card. That leaves one cousin whose address I still need. I'm working on that. Got the second one, so they're all out! Yay!
  6. Call work and give HR an update on some stuff. I've already let my bosses know what the doctor said, but I had to initiate some paperwork concerning my leave.
  7. (Hopefully) get some more paperwork taken care of. You would not believe the amount of paperwork this accident has caused.
  8. Make a grocery list. I may not have a doctor's appointment this week, but I'm going to have to either send someone for groceries or get some later this week, or I'll be eating lots of vegetarian chili.
  9. Start working on the thank you cards. My hope is to get them all finished before I go back to work. I've sent a couple out to relatives. There are a few more that aren't for co-workers, but the majority are. In theory once I go back, I can just put them in the mailboxes for their department, rather than mail them. There are quite a few people to thank for cards, gifts, bringing my packages, doing my laundry, all sorts of things. I've written it all down. And I really want to do something for those who have been taking me to my appointments, too. I'll have to think on that one, something beyond the Christmas presents. Gas money here and there just doesn't cut it, especially since some times have been less convenient than others, and at least one person got a call the day of because the other person was sick. Not to mention at least four people have had to physically help me get in and out of the house.
Well, it's 1 am, and I have to get up early enough to shower (it takes awhile these days) and straighten up before physical therapy, so I should head on to bed. Good night.

No comments: