Unshelved by Bill Barnes and Gene Ambaum
comic strip overdue media

Saturday, December 22, 2012

I didn't mean to be silent on Friday

No, I wasn't waiting for an impending apocalypse. I should have at least logged on and wished everyone a happy Solstice/Yule. It even snowed a little and I didn't blog about that. I wasn't exceedingly busy, although the day included doing some stuff on the computer, physical therapy, having a visitor briefly, and then that night I wound up having a marathon phone call with Brandon that rivaled my ones with YKWIA. Somewhere in all that I played some Mahjong, checked the mail, and did all the little things that are part of my life at the moment. Oh, and I had a nice midday nap, since I was still a bit tired from laundry the day before. But I never got around to blogging for some reason.

Anyway, sorry about that. Today I had one thing on my to-do list and I did it once I got out here to the computer. I haven't even had breakfast yet. So I may spend the rest of the day doing some reading, as I've already visited the news sites, YouTube, Facebook, Twitter--the usual places I glean stories from to share here. Of course, I look at those sites more than once each day, so I might find something later.

Things are starting to get back to normal around here. I'm not at work yet, but I hope that when I go to the doctor Thursday he will release me back to it in about a week or so. The recovery has been slow. Standing for any length of time is still hard, but I don't stand much in my job. I put the laundry away this morning and it hurt a bit. It is so weird to be up walking, albeit slowly, and being at a regular height again. I feel like I'm on stilts after being in the chair for so long. Yes, I used the walker to hop about part of the time, but usually I was too busy trying not to fall over to see how I felt. And now I'm sitting in a computer chair and every now and then I feel for the wheels to move, so I guess I got used to being in a wheelchair more than I thought. Still, it's nice to be up, even if it's only partially weight-bearing and I'm not walking for long distances. In the meantime, I am doing exercises that will build up some stamina. I've also contacted LexTran to see if I can get into their Wheels programme until I can get to the bus stop on my own. It's 0.44 miles away and I would have to cross the street twice to get to work. I don't think that's happening on a walker. :) There's an application and evaluation process, so I don't think I'll get approved very soon, but I might be able to get rides to and from work in the meantime. That's the hope, anyway.

No comments: